Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Wednesday accused economist Robert Reich of “packaging falsehoods as fact,” amidst an escalating public feud over whether America’s economy remains “K-shaped.”
The latest exchange came after Reich published an open letter on Substack arguing that the divide between rich and poor Americans is still very much alive, prompting a sharp response from Bessent.
The Treasury Secretary said Reich’s post was “an impressive display of economic prestidigitation,” accusing him of conceding that wages are growing faster for low-income workers, only to bury that fact under “nearly 2,000 words.”
Bessent cited Bank of America data showing lower-income and middle-income spending has “converged toward levels at the top,” and took a shot at Reich over a past controversy involving “invented dialogue” in his memoir.
“This will be the last response to his four-decade pattern of packaging falsehoods as fact,” Bessent added.
The exchange follows Bessent’s claim on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” earlier this month that the K-shaped economy is “over,” replaced by a “C-economy” in which lower-income workers are “finally clawing it back.”
He had cited Bureau of Labor Statistics data showing weekly earnings for workers at the 25th percentile rose 5.5% year-over-year, versus 1.5% for those at the 75th percentile.
Reich, who served as U.S. Secretary of Labor under former President Bill Clinton and is now a professor at UC Berkeley, pushed back and called Bessent’s analysis deeply flawed.
He cited McDonald’s Corp (NYSE:MCD) comments about a double-digit drop in visits from lower- and middle-income customers as evidence of a “two-tier economy.”
He also backed his claim, citing Moody’s Analytics data showing that the top 10% of earners drive a record 49.7% of consumer spending, while Federal Reserve figures show the richest 1% hold 29.2% of national wealth.
Rising credit card debt has also become part of the divide, with New York Fed researchers linking $1.26 trillion in balances directly to the “K-shaped economy.”
Navellier & Associates founder Louis Navellier said he broadly trusts Bessent’s outlook but acknowledged the divide “persists,” noting that the top 50% of households hold all stock market wealth, effectively advising lower-income Americans to “bet on a billionaire” rather than resenting one.
B2BROKER’s John Murillo was more skeptical, saying convergence is unlikely without structural policy change, since the top 1% hold roughly $55 trillion, about as much as the bottom 90% combined.
Disclaimer: This content was partially produced with the help of AI tools and was reviewed and published by Benzinga editors.
Image via Shutterstock/ Maxim Elramsisy